Driver LicensingCommercial LicensingMotorcycle LicensingOther LicensingDefensive DrivingRoad SafetyTraffic Offences
Driver Licensing
Class G1 & G2
New Drivers
How to Applying
Driver's Permit Study Guide
Class G1 Test Samples
Examination Centers
Aging Drivers
Driving Schools
Driver's Licence
License Renewal
International Licence
Changing Address
Licence Issuing Offices
Vehicle Licensing
New Vehicles
Transferring Vehicle
Temporary Licence
Replacing a License
Vehicle Licensing
Special Cases
Stolen & Salvage Vehicle
Safety Certificate
Validation Refund
New or Personalized Licence Plates
Importing Vehicles
Emission Test
New Vehicles
The registrations of new vehicles require the following documents:
  • New Vehicle Information Statement (NEVIS)
  • Insurance information
  • Application for registrations (available at the Licensing Issuing Offices)
Registration of new vehicles is made normally by the dealer selling the vehicle and the taxes are paid by the buyer to the dealer who remits them to the Ministry of Finance.
Old Vehicles
Vehicles brought to Ontario from other provinces or Countries must be registered within 30 days after their arrival to the Province.
The registrations of old vehicles require the following documents:
  • Registration or Title of the vehicle in the former jurisdiction (originals only- no photocopies)
  • Insurance information if plates are required
  • Safety Standard Certificate Safety Standard Certificate ( SSC )
  • Application for registrations (available at the Licensing Issuing Offices)
  • Ontario Sales Tax is applicable on the Fair Market Value of the vehicle or in the case of imported vehicles on the base price used by Canada Customs to calculate duties and taxes.
  • For registration of Vehicles imported into Canada, the Customs K-22 form is required.
  • This form is issued by the Customs Office at the port of entry. The office of the Registrar of Motor Vehicles, within 5 days sends a registration kit which allows the registrant to bring the vehicle into compliance with Canada Safety Standards. When the procedure is completed the K-22 will be ready to be used in the registration of the vehicle.
Registrants who are new settlers in the province may register their personal use vehicles without paying taxes.
Tips for buying used vehicle
Avoid any seller who: 
  • Pressures you to make a hurried decision
  • Discourages you from checking facts 
  • Avoids having you take the vehicle to the mechanic shop to get it checked or if they are a dealer, have no office lot and sign
  • Suggests that you can avoid paying tax. He/she wants to ensure that you won't go to the authorities if there's a problem
Before you buy a vehicle from a private seller, ask to see the Used vehicle information package (seller are required by law to provide it ) to verify:
  • Approximate retail value
  • Registrant history ( to determine it the vehicle is registered in the name of the seller and to see how much experience the seller has with the vehicle)
  • That date of first registration is close to year of vehicle manufacture (vehicle may have previous history in another jurisdiction
  • If there are liens register against the vehicle

If buying from a dealer, ask to see the dealer's and salesperson's registration certificate issued by Ontario Motor Vehicle industry Council. All motor vehicle dealers and salespersons must be registered. You can claim against the

Motor Vehicle dealer's compensation Fund if you suffer a financial loss purchasing a vehicle from a registered dealer

For more information about buying or selling a used vehicle, pleas call the Driver & Vehicle licensing call center 
at: (416) 235-2999

The Driver Permit Strudy Guide
The Driver's Permit Study Guide
The Computerized Licensing Test Study Guide
The Computerized
Study Guide
The Motorcycle's Permit Study Guide
The Motorcycle's Permit Study Guide
The Truck's Permit Study Guide
The Truck's Permit
Study Guide
CAA Driver Training
CAA Driver Training Where Driving is for life
Tony's Driving School
Copyright © 2009 CEC Inc. All Rights Reserved.