Driver LicensingCommercial LicensingMotorcycle LicensingOther LicensingDefensive DrivingRoad SafetyTraffic Offences
Traffic Offences
Collision Reporting Center
Criminal Offences
Drinking Consequences
Drinking and Driving
Highway traffic Act
Impaired Driving
Licence Reinstatement
Property Claim
Red Light Cameras
The Demerit Points
Traffic fines
Failing to Report and Remain at the Scene of collision:

Offences of failing to report and remain at the scene of a motor vehicle collision are committed when a driver, who is directly or indirectly involved in an collision, fails to report the collision to the police, or fails to remain at, or immediately return to the scene of the collision.
The law requires that you report collision that involves injuries or more than $1000 in property damage.

  • 3 demerit point for failing to report
  • 7 demerit points for failing to remain at the scene of the collision
  • 6 month jail terms and licence suspension up to 2 years
The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund (the Fund) may provide compensation to individuals injured in uninsured automobile accidents which occur in Ontario, where there is absolutely no access to insurance.

If you are injured in an auto accident, certain rules determine from whom you may collect no-fault accident benefits.

Option 1:
As a first option, you must claim accident benefits from your own automobile insurance company.
Option 2:
If Option 1 is not available and there is no such insurance (for example, you or your spouse do not own an automobile), you would apply for benefits to the insurance company of the automobile in which you were an occupant.
Option 3:
If Option 2 is not available (for example, there was no insurance on the automobile in which you were an occupant), then you would apply to the insurance company of any automobile involved in the accident.
Final Option
If recovery is not possible from any of the above three sources (for example, if you are a pedestrian or cyclist who is not covered by an automobile policy and are the victim of an uninsured or an unidentified motorist), then you are deemed to have absolutely no access to automobile insurance. As a final option, you may apply for accident benefits to the Fund. To apply to the Fund for accident benefits you will need the forms contained in the Accident Benefits Application Package (Bill 59).
Under the Highway Traffic Act, Section 199(1), accidents resulting in personal injury are required to be reported to the police. If you have not already done so, the police must be notified and a report taken.
You will need a copy of the investigating police officer's report as well as a signed Notice of Collection of Personal Information form included with your Accident Benefits Application Package (Bill 59).
For more information about applying for accident benefits, please contact:

Claims Coordinator
Financial Services Commission of Ontario
Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund
5160 Yonge Street, P.O. Box 85
Toronto, Ontario M2N 6L9
Tel: (416) 590-7038 or toll-free 1-800-268-7188
The Driver Permit Strudy Guide
The Driver's Permit Study Guide
The Computerized Licensing Test Study Guide
The Computerized
Study Guide
The Motorcycle's Permit Study Guide
The Motorcycle's Permit Study Guide
The Truck's Permit Study Guide
The Truck's Permit
Study Guide
CAA Driver Training
CAA Driver Training Where Driving is for life
Tony's Driving School
Copyright © 2009 CEC Inc. All Rights Reserved.